Lori Marino joins The People’s Environmental News Hour to talk about the Whale Sanctuary Project
with an invited studio audience.
- How will a whale who’s lived in a concrete tank adapt to the wide-open space of a sanctuary?
- Why can’t captive whales be released into the open ocean?
- Might some of them be suffering from PTSD, given that they already show signs, in their tanks, of stress and other mental disorders?
These were just a few of the questions posed by the hosts and the audience when Lori Marino, President of the Whale Sanctuary Project, was the guest on the People’s Environmental News Hour, a weekly TV show that’s broadcast from San Rafael, California.
It was a full hour of all the kinds of questions you might have posed if you’d been part of the studio audience, including:
- How do marine entertainment parks teach whales to do tricks?
- What’s the incentive for them to give up their whales? Won’t it put them out of business?
- What will you do if some of the whales don’t get along with each other?
- Will you allow them to breed? If not, how do you stop them?
- What might be the effect of a sanctuary on local wildlife?
- What do you think of ecotourism – swimming with dolphins in the ocean, etc.?
And lots more. Check out the video. And if you have questions that didn’t come up during the show, go ahead and ask them on our Facebook page.
Special thanks to Barbara McVeigh and Charlie Siler of the People’s Environmental News Hour for inviting us.